Rajat’s French Toast…Desi Style

March 12, 2009

french-toast-plated

One weekend during our first year of marriage, Rajat and I both decided we were craving french toast.  Wanting to be a good wife, I whipped some up with moves I had seen my mom use to make french toast – splash of vanilla here, pinch of cinnamon there, a dash of nutmeg.  To my horror, Rajat took my soft, golden french toast and dunked it in a pool of ketchup (although, he dunks almost all breakfast food in ketchup…eww).  Then I noticed he was curiously watching me drizzle syrup over my toast.  As we took our first bites, it became clear we should have been more specific when talking about our craving for “french toast.”

The french toast I grew up on is more sweet than savory.  Rajat’s version of french toast is savory and not sweet at all, and he made it for me last weekend.  My review is a little skewed since it’s been about two and a half years since I’ve eaten eggs straight up like this, so I should note that I was simultaneously getting over egg heebeejeebees.  This desi style french toast was definitely a tasty departure from sweet french toast and will reappear in our brunch rotation.

Rajat’s French Toast – Desi Style
~makes about 8~

Grocery:
4 eggs
Milk
Masala Rack:
Salt (about half a teaspoon)
Sprinkle of black pepper
Sprinkle of lal mirch (chili powder)
Pinch of garam masala
Staples:
Sliced bread
Ketchup or Maggie’s Tomato Sauce

Preparing the egg batter:

1. Crack the eggs into a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk until the yolks are blended with the whites.
2. Stir in the salt, pepper and lal mirch.
3. Add just a splash of milk and mix well.
4. Heat a skillet on medium high.  Lightly oil the pan or drop a pat of butter/fake butter into the center of the skillet.
5. Dip a piece of bread into the egg batter until it is well coated on each side.
6. Place the bread in the center of the hot skillet and grill until golden.  Flip and repeat.
7. Repeat for the other slices.  You may need to re-oil/butter the skillet between pieces of french toast.

Rajat’s other suggestion for desi style French Toast is to add freshly cut cilantro to the egg batter.

We’ve been wanting to make aloo chaat for awhile now, so we made aloo chaat style breakfast potatoes that you see in the picture above. They were mouth wateringly delicious – tangy and salty with a slightly spicy kick and roasted to perfect tenderness. These are my new favorite breakfast potatoes and top even these!

french-toast-stack

sushma March 13, 2009 at 4:49 am

hey first time here and interesting blog. Rajath’s french toast looks yum..

Priya March 13, 2009 at 5:46 am

Wwow tempting toast!!Looks very delicious!!

nithya March 13, 2009 at 6:32 am

@Sushma, thanks…was very yummy. It might be the one egg-y dish I’m willing to eat now…although next time, I’m thinking it would be good with a little something sweet so you have salty and sweet.

@Priya, thanks for stopping by! Love your blow btw.

trupti March 13, 2009 at 3:12 pm

hmm….I think the hubby and kids would like this! I don’t eat cooked eggs…..not my thing but will give this a go for the weekend. Have a good weekend! 🙂

nithya March 13, 2009 at 9:49 pm

@Trupti, yeah, eggs are not really my thing either…but this may have converted me back a little 🙂 Same to you too!

~Nithya

racheyalex March 14, 2009 at 9:13 am

I’m vegan, so I totally understand your egg squeamishness 🙂 Ener-G makes a powdered egg replacer that works great for french toast, just whisk it into warm milk/soymilk and then proceed as normal. It’s basically a mix of tapioca starch, potato starch, and corn starch. Now you can enjoy french toast without any of the “ew”!!

nithya March 15, 2009 at 5:57 am

@racheyalex, thanks for the info! i’m going to try that next week. any other good ideas for using Ener-G?

Kevin March 15, 2009 at 11:14 am

I like the sound of a savoury french toast!

megan (brooklyn farmhouse) March 16, 2009 at 7:12 am

Whoa, you just blew my mind! Savory french toast – what??? I LOVE this idea. I find breakfast foods to usually be so uninspired, the same ole same ole everywhere you go – but this is brilliant. I can’t wait to try.

varsha March 17, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Hi Nithya..first time here..lovely space..:)
Surprisingly spice lovers,me n hubby ,make our french toast more or less this way only.. :)..just adjust the spices..add and minus things..looks yum ..:)

Mike March 19, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I would have been just as confused–I’ve never seen a savory french toast before! Definitely sounds interesting though

racheyalex March 22, 2009 at 2:33 pm

when I made this I only had cinnamon raisin bread ( http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2009/03/whole-wheat-cinnamon-raisin-bread.html ), but I still tried it with the savory coating. Maybe I just love sweet and spicy and savory all together, but I thought it was really good! I’m probably making french toast like this for the rest of my life, because the flavor isn’t too overpowering that it still tastes ok with syrup, as well as being great dipped in ketchup. Yes, for the record, I dipped cinnamon raisin french toast in ketchup. Like I said, love sweet/spicy/savory together 8D

nithya March 22, 2009 at 7:42 pm

@racheyalex, i love your idea of adding something sweet with the cinnamon raisin! i’m going to have to get Rajat to make it that way…although I can’t promise that I can dip it in ketchup 🙂 I’m sure he will! Thanks also for the feedback. I love to hear how recipes turn out.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments on Rajat’s French Toast. He’s really high on the hog about his cooking skills now and is convinced he may revolutionize french toast!!

Raj March 23, 2009 at 3:25 am

You’re onto something with the something with the savory french toast thing.