hungry desi at home

July 8, 2010

hungrydesi at home spices

I taught a cooking class.  I FINALLY did it.  After talking about it, thinking about it, planning on doing it but then changing my mind, I finally just did it.  And it was a lot of fun.  A little stressful to cook, talk and teach at the same time, but I did it.  And it was a blast.  I had a friend invite 6 students over to my apartment and we spent a few hours gathered around the kitchen cooking mattar paneer, aloo gobi and moong dal, talking about spices and shopping for them and trading tips on cutting, peeling and pots.  It was a lot of fun, and I plan to do it again very soon!

fried paneer

Before everyone came over, I fried a block of cubed paneer for the mattar paneer.

hungrydesi at home food

Other than that step, we made everything together in class with each everybody doing a little bit of everything – cutting, peeling, stirring together.  And at the end of about 2 hours, we sat down together for a warming meal.

surya at cooking class

And we were joined by one little pint sized gourmand who wasn’t allowed to participate in class…and seemed really happy that it was over so she could have her mommy back.

apu July 9, 2010 at 12:55 am

awwwwwwwww – that little one is ADORABLE! And Kudos on the cooking class…

Srivandya July 9, 2010 at 3:36 am

Congratulations for your first cooking class. Surya looks exactly the way you looked when you were a baby, right?

Anjali July 9, 2010 at 4:16 am

I may be biased but my little niece might be the cutest little baby out there! That is an adorable photo….we can’t wait to see her again!

And congrats on the class–very exciting!! xx

Jayasree July 9, 2010 at 7:35 am

Congrats on your first cooking class. Wishing you for many more to come. Loveee your baby. Very expressive eyes she has.

Pavani July 9, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Congrats on your first class. Everything on the plate looks yummy.. Your daughter is just adorable.. awwwwwww.. Have a great weekend.

Nisha July 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm

What a great picture! We are so proud of all of your accomplishments 🙂
Will you teach a class in Delaware?

fresh365 July 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Congrats I wish I lived closer, because that sounds like alot of fun! Love the baby photos- such a cutie!

Ruby July 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I wish we still lived near each other. I would love to be a student in your cooking class. It looks like so much fun, and I love the little masala jars. Surya is absolutely beautiful.

Shirin July 13, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Man, I wish I could’ve come. I’ve decided I need to start cooking Indian food, because it’s so veggie friendly and because it’s one of my hubby’s favorite foods. I just need to go to our Indian store and buy all the spices.
Surya looks SO cute and cuddly in that picture!

nithya July 17, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and interest about the cooking class. It was a tough decision to take time away from my weekend hours with Surya so I really appreciate the encouragement. For those of you who emailed about wanting to take the next class, I will keep you in the loop!